I received a cool subscription box curated especially for athletes called HALF IT. One of the items was a trial bottle of Liquid L-Carnitine from NOW Sports. I don’t know if you have heard about the benefits of taking this supplement but I am excited to share them with you because there are many and they are mighty.
What Is It? L-Carnitine is an amino acid (a building block for proteins) that is naturally produced in the body. When the body gets low levels of L-carnitine it affects energy levels, heart function, muscle movement, and many other body processes.
It is given as a supplement to people who are not producing enough L-carnitine on their own due to certain genetic or medical issues.
I have heard about this supplement in my research of diet and kidneys after my husband was in late stage kidney disease from a genetic disorder that causes his kidneys to become permanently damaged over time. People who are in the end stages of serious kidney disease undergo hemodialysis which requires taking L-carnitine supplements. Given intravenously or by mouth it can improve anemia and inflammation.
What Does It Do? “L-carnitine helps to transport fat, particularly long-chain fatty acids, into the mitochondria of cells. Once there, they can be oxidized—used as fuel—to generate adenosine triphosphate, or ATP. … Without adequate L-carnitine, most dietary fats can’t get into the mitochondria and be burned for fuel.”
Specifically Related to Fitness In terms of fitness, taking this supplement causes your body to burn more fat while preserving muscle glycogen, in addition to having lower levels of lactic acid and higher levels of creatine phosphate. You will build muscle and burn fat naturally with relatively no negative side effects.
“L-carnitine’s bona fide role as a fat-burning supplement is well-established. During bulking periods, it can help limit fat gains and make a “cleaner” bulk. If you’re cutting, it can help transport the fat you have into your cellular furnaces to get burned as energy.” (Credit)
How to Take It Bodybuilding(dot)com suggests that your best bet is to take 2-3 grams per dose for maximum benefit, along with a meal containing at least 30-40 grams of carbs and 20-40 grams of protein.
Benefits to Fitness and Health:
- Burns fat as fuel (including fats you eat regularly and fats that have already been stored in the body).
- Helps burn carbs as fuel during workouts.
- Improves endurance during and after workouts by inhibiting the build-up of lactic acid (one of the primary causes of fatigue).
- Reduces muscle damage and soreness after workouts.
- Increases blood flow to muscles delivering more nutrients and hormones.
- Improves symptoms and increase exercise ability in people with heart failure.
- Relieves rapid or pounding heartbeat, nervousness, and weakness in people with high thyroid hormone levels.
- Increases sperm count and sperm movement in men with fertility problems.
- Can reduce the risk of death from myocarditis.