Making squash can be intimidating. Unless you are familiar with how to bake it and how to prepare it, you will continue to pass it over at the grocery store. I am here to help you and your family enjoy a tasty, fun food that is packed with lots of healthy ingredients that your body craves. Spaghetti squash is also versatile as a substitute for pasta when going gluten free, or for many other reasons. And guess what? You don’t have to run your oven all day and plan ahead. You can grab one from the store today and have it ready for dinner tonight! Here is how to cook perfect spaghetti squash in 15 minutes in the microwave.
1. First you start with a spaghetti squash. You can get them year round as a winter and summer harvest. Normally these are difficult and very dangerous to cut open. That is another reason why my method is best! Poke holes all over the squash with a fork about 10 – 15 times.
2. Put the whole thing in the microwave for 5 minutes. This will soften the squash so it is safer to cut.
3. Cut the squash open being very careful of the heat inside to avoid burns!!
4. Let it cool a little and scoop out only the seeds with a fork.
5. Put each half upside down in a microwave safe dish in 1/4 inch of water and microwave for 5 more minutes. TIP – You will know that the squash is done because the shell will be soft to the touch.
6. Let it cool enough to handle without burning. Take each half and scrape the insides with a fork to remove the spaghetti.
Spaghetti squash are packed with Vitamins such as A, B-6, C and K. They contain Riboflavin, niacin, folate and more.
It is a great vegan and vegetarian meal.
I eat mine plain with hot sauce, but you can mix the warm spaghetti squash with grated Italian cheeses along with salt, pepper and your favorite spices like Oregano and Basil.
Pin this so it is saved for later. . .
You may like this recipe for Spaghetti Squash.