*This is not a sponsored post and opinions belong to jenny at dapperhouse.
I love that if you google “what causes a hangover” the answer will be “drinking too much”! (Head slap, right?) I guess then we can cite sporting events, holidays, Mexico and bad breakups as causes as well. There are actually many factors that contribute to a hangover but I am going to focus more on how to repair the damage after the fact. Here are some amazing hangover cures that will help you get through the day or two after your binge by correcting things like dehydration, toxicity and inflammation. I hope you feel better!
1. Expel the Alcohol Toxins from Your Body
Your body is full of toxins and now you feel the effects of poisoning. Avoid the rumors that having another drink will help and drink this miracle concoction instead.
16 oz of cool water
1 teaspoon honey
the juice from fresh cut 1/4 lemon
1/8 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
Mix ingredients together in a water bottle and sip until gone over an hour. Repeat every other hour for the rest of the day to detox and refresh your entire body!
2. Settle Your Stomach and Relieve Your Pounding Head
If you don’t have alka-seltzer on hand you can make your own similar remedy to relieve your hangover.
Pour a big glass of cool water. (at least 8 – 12 oz)
Add one asprin and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
Stir until dissolved.
Follow with sips from a small glass of cold fruit juice.
3. Detox and Renewal Hangover Smoothie Recipe
In a blender combine:
1 cup coconut water
1/2 cup orange juice
a handful of baby spinach and kale leaves
1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
*If you have a scoop protein powder then add this too.
Mix and drink! This is a much better opportunity than indulging in unhealthy, greasy food that many of us crave the next day!
4. Walk It Off and Rejuvenate
Resting and sleeping it off may make you fell so much better, but don’t forget that getting moving and getting some fresh air can make a huge difference. If you are really feeling bad just take a walk while breathing deep. If you can muster up the strength, engaging in moderate exercise and working up a sweat is a miracle! Just make sure that you are fully hydrated before, during and after your workout and take a good shower afterwards.
5. Prepare the Night Before
I would never suggest to skip your alcohol intake, otherwise we wouldn’t need hangover cures. So assuming you only periodically go over your limit and don’t require AA Classes to get your life in order, here are a few other tricks to help you out!
- You know how when you are checking out of certain stores like Best Buy, you are asked if you would like to purchase a warranty to potentially make your life easier? What if at the liqueur store you were told that for only a bit more money, you can reduce your potential to get a hangover, would you pay? You can do this yourself by paying a little more to get a higher quality alcohol. Premium spirits are made with better products and better processes that will reduce the headaches and nausea!
- Taking ibuprofen with a big glass of water before and after you drink is one of the best things that you can do to prevent a headache.
- Sipping on a glass of water, soda or virgin drink in between or with your alcoholic beverages is a fantastic trick to slow intake but still have something to sip!
*Drinking too much can have serious consequences. If you are having a rough time recovering and think that you are feeling really bad, please call your doctor or visit an urgent care to assess your vitals and get medical help.
If you want to talk to someone about drinking too much or too often you can go to AA or your doctor for help.