*This is not a sponsored post but does contain affiliate links. Content and opinions belongs to jenny at dapperhouse.
I get my love of unicorns from my daughter. She has always loved the colors and magic that goes along with them since she was a very little girl. She even requested a Unicorn birthday on her 24th birthday as an adult because you are never too young or too old to LOVE unicorns! Here is a recipe for how to make magic Unicorn Cupcakes from Scratch. My daughter’s favorite candy is nerds and this recipe is dedicated to her! I hope that you love making these to celebrate your love of Unicorns!
- 1/2 C butter (room temp)
- 2 eggs whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 C flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 C buttermilk
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- food color colors: pink, purple, blue, and yellow ( 2-4 drops of each)
- Nerds candies
- magic (not optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
4. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer.
5. Add vanilla extract.
6. Slowly add egg whites, one at a time, beating after each addition.
7. Slowly add eggs, beating after adding.
8. Alternate the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter and sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition.
TIP: This is a good time to add some magic.
9. Divide the batter into four smaller bowls.
10.Bowl #1…add several drops of pink food coloring. Stir well to blend color.
11. Bowl #2… add several drops of purple food coloring. Stir well to blend the color.
12. Bowl#3… add several drops of blue food coloring. Stir well to blend the color.
13. Bowl #4… add several drops of yellow food coloring. Stir well to blend the color.
14. In the paper lined cupcake tins, spoon the pink batter into the bottom of each of the paper cupcake tins.
15. Then add a large spoonful of the purple on top of the pink, then add the blue batter on top of the purple, and last add the yellow as your last colored batter. Only fill until 2/3 rds full.
16. Bake at 350 degree for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
17. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
18. Remove from the cupcake tin and completely cool on a wire rack.
19. After completely cool, using a cupcake scooper, make a hole in the center of each cupcake.
20. Pour in the Nerds in the hole in the center of each cupcake.
TIP: This is a good time to add a little more magic.
- 1 C unsalted butter, soft
- 4 + C of powdered sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Food coloring: pink, purple, blue, and yellow
1. Cream butter until it is light.
2. Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until the frosting becomes creamy.
3. If not creaming add the heavy whipping cream.
4. Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak.
5. If not add 1/2 C of powdered sugar.
6. Test again. Add some Magic.
7. Continue to add 1/2 C more of powdered sugar until it can.
8. Once the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak, divide the frosting into four bowls.
9. Add the pink food coloring (2-4 drops), stir to blend colors.
10. Add the purple food coloring (2-4 drops), stir to blend colors.
11. Add the blue food coloring ( 2-4 drops), stir to blend colors.
12. Add the yellow food coloring (2-4 drops), stir to blend colors.
13. Spoon the pink frosting into a pastry bag with a frosting tip.
14. Using the back of the spoon, mash the pink frosting onto the pastry bag.
15. Turn the bag, 1/4 way.
16. Using the back of the spoon, mash the purple frosting into the pastry bag.
17. Turn the bag 1/4 way.
18. Using the back of the spoon, mash the blue frosting onto the pastry bag.
19. Turn the bag 1/4 way.
20. Using the back of the spoon, mash the yellow frosting onto the pastry bag.
21. Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
22. Test out the frosting on a napkin.
23. Frost the cupcakes in tall, magical swirls.
24. Sprinkle with magic. Add candy sprinkles too if desired.
You may also like:
Unicorn Clothing & Accessories for all ages
Best Unicorn Gifts EVER for Adults & Teens
Make Magical Unicorn Cupcakes from Scratch
Free Unicorn Bingo Game Printables
You can also follow my Unicorn board on Pinterest!