Parents are always trying to find ways to keep their children learning during school breaks. With summer being the longest time away from school it is especially important to keep our children’s minds sharp so that when they return to school they can get right back into learning without any frustrations or issues. Have you thought of ways you can keep your kids learning? Here are 32 ways you can keep your kids learning and using their brains while having tons of fun this summer!
1. Take them to the library!
There are often free classes, clubs and story times
along with summer reading contests too. Not to mention
that it is just so fun to grab a book and read with
your children. It is like a new adventure every time!
2. Read to your child on a daily basis. Even older
children love this. I like to give kids a paper and
crayons to draw a picture to represent the story that I
am reading. This keeps them engaged so that they listen
without getting distracted by other things.
3. Help them learn reading and math as you cook together.
4. Play counting games in the pool.
5. Take nature hikes. Use a compass, identify plants and
animals, research area history and learn to navigate
6. Complete science experiments together in the kitchen.
7. Do arts and crafts together.
8. Sign up for educational learning boxes that are
delivered to your front door.
9. Listen to educational songs and talk about the lyrics.
10. Create your own musical sounds in your home.
11. Learn some words in sign language or a foreign language!
12. Grow a garden with your children and have them help
out with planning, care and harvest.
13. Discover your backyard and everything that’s growing
back there. Internet research the plants and animals.
14. Scrapbook about your family adventures over the years.
15. Take a road trip.
16. Get involved in a local charity.
17. Do a scavenger hunt to discover your town a little bit
18. Visit a new local business each week.
19. Take a field trip to the local fire station.
20. Sign up for a learning magazine subscription.
21. Teach your child about upcycling and complete a project
22. Have a garage sale to teach about buying and selling.
23. Help your child start their own business, like a
24. Have you children help plan an educational family night!
25. Study a new country each week (France, Italy or Mexico
are great starters).
26. Visit a local community centers and get involved in the
activities they offer. Check cities and counties too!
27. Visit local museums to help keep the brain movement
28. Review things your child has learned from the past
school year by going through old workbooks or papers.
29. Utilize art to help your child to keep learning over
30. Read the “good stuff” out of the newspaper each day and
have discussions about them!
These learning activities are perfect for kids of multiple ages. You can modify things to accommodate learning styles and abilities and best of all, you can all make memories by having fun together as a family!
What are some of your favorite learning activities to complete with your kids over the summer?